Monday, September 24, 2007

Sample: Newspaper Column

(I wrote for the local paper under a pseudonym when I was in high school.)

Serena Says...
By Serena Anderson

Hello Everyone!
Welcome to the first installment of my weekly column in the InPort. I'm Serena Anderson. I'm your typical high school student, with average grades, average looks, an average family, and a few average extra-curricular activities. I have (some of) the same likes and dislikes as you, and a lot of the same problems. I'm here to entertain you, help you with your problems, and to keep you up to date on what's going on here in Port. This is my first column, and hopefully, I'll have many more to write. I'd love to know what you think. You can send me any love/hate mail, any problems you need help with, any art/comics, or anything else you'd like to see in print. I can't promise to publish everything, but I'll try. Now, to get on to the fun stuff!

Say What?!
(This is my quote of the week. It's usually some funky little phrase that catches my eye (or ear.))
"Follow your bliss."~Joeseph Campbell
Personally, this little quote has a lot of impact for me, mainly because I'm following my bliss right now.

Check This Out!
(This is my CD/book/movie review.)
This week, I chose my (new) favourite CD: Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball. It's been constantly repeating in my CD player for about a week. (Yep, my mother is starting to go nuts!) Mirrorball is a live compilation of Sarah's greatest hits. I love all of her songs, but these are the cream of the crop. Mirrorball includes 'Building A Mystery,' 'I Will Remember You,' 'Posession,' 'Ice Cream,' and 'Angel', plus all of her other chart-toppers. As if the songs themselves weren't reason enough to get it, the album also has the lyrics to all the songs, so you can finally learn the right words to sing. If you're like me, you'll be singing these songs a lot! The CD itself looks like a disco ball, which I thought was pretty cool too. In total, I give Mirrorball 5 out of 5 stars. I say run out and buy it!

Your Opinions:
(This is my monthly poll.)
This month's topic is: What is your favourite thing to order when you go to Tim Horton's?
a cappuchino, a donut, an iced cappuchino, Timbits, a Swiss Mocha, a muffin, or something else (be sure to tell me what that something else is.) Send in your answers right away, so I can count them! The results will be published in December.

What's (Coming) Up:
(this is my list of movies, CDs, books, and anything else interesting that's coming out soon.)

Movies:
Pokemon: The First Movie-November 12 (okay, so Pokemon is a little cheesy, but they're so cute!)
The Messenger-November 12

CDs:
Cher: Greatest Hits-November 16


Well, I guess that's about it for this week. Remember to send me your responses for the poll, as well as any problems you'd like me to help solve. See ya next week!

Mail for Serena can be sent to:
Serena Anderson c/o The Tribune,
149 King St., Port Colborne, Ont.
L3K 4G3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the quote-good going! I myself am 19 and looking towards getting a job with the local newspaper.

Much luck!