Monday, September 24, 2007

Sample: Fiction, first person

When things are good, I am soaring at the top of the world. I know that the inevitable crash will come but choose to only look through the small, warm window that brings light and love to my dark corners.

In the middle of a summer heat, we are the eye of the storm. Kieren and I are lips and tongues and teeth and flesh, melding into one. Making love to him is like drinking a sweet ice wine - I cannot get enough, but each kiss and his hands on my back make me perpetually drunker. Finally we collapse together, fall asleep a tangled mess of limbs, and then wake as the sun is going down, only to make love again.

When the stars hang heavy and my eyelids droop, I know that in the morning it will seem only a dream. We will be business and he will inevitably hurt me somehow, as that is what we do. Some things are written in stone, and the only thing to be changed is one's reaction to them.

As long there is saccharine to numb the pain, I will stay.

No comments: